Safer Roads For Spring Break

Stay safe on the streets! Image by kewl.

Rushil Kannery, Reporter

FRISCO, TEXAS- With spring break around the corner, the time is ripe for lots of teenage drivers to be on the streets, driving to meet up with their friends, or just traveling for fun. And with this extra free time on the road comes the danger of driving.

In Texas, teenagers are also eligible to get a license, as the minimum age for a license is 16, while for a permit you only have to be 15 years old.

Therefore, it’s convenient for a lot of teenagers to go out on the roads, and help their families with errands, and just relish the freedom that comes with the ability to drive themselves around.

“I got my license [a few days ago],” says Ava Winters, a sophomore who just started driving alone. “The day I got my license, I was really excited, but also a little bit scared, and then the next day I went to the mall,” she said.

However, with this added freedom comes the risk of having more drivers on the road. With more drivers, there are simply more chances to get hurt, or hurt someone. There are so many things that can go wrong, and drivers always have to be really careful out on the streets.

“Cell phones are a huge safety hazard,” says Mrs. Brenda Lee, a teacher at CHS who drives to work every day .

And she’s right. With the sheer amount of cell phone users out on the streets, it’s imperative that everyone ensure that they don’t use their devices while they are driving.

Nevertheless, even if we try our best to be safe drivers, there is always someone who is rushing to get somewhere, who will eventually run that red light, and cause an accident. And more often than not, it’s completely unexpected.

“Usually, if it were any other day, I would not have gotten hit by that car,” begins Ethan K.B. Reyes, a victim of an unfortunate accident that occurred mid-2022. “The one time I don’t check left and right [before crossing]… I hear a car horn and about a second later is when my vision is black and I feel an impact on the side of my hip.”

On May 5, 2022, Reyes went through an ordeal he will remember for the rest of his life. Within seconds, he went from a high schooler jogging home to being confined to a wheelchair.

“I had to have surgery the day after [and] after I got out, they said I would be wheelchair bound for about six to eight [weeks],” explains Reyes. “From that point, I could use crutches… I began walking as soon as I was approved.”

With the extensive time that recovery took, Reyes had to accommodate, and lost time in his life he will never get back. So drivers, keep calm on the streets. Get to where you need to, and stay safe during spring break!

Facebookredditpinterestlinkedinmail