The student news site of Centennial High School - Frisco, Texas

Cen10 News

• Welcome To The Titan Times!
  • Welcome to The Titan Times!
  • Follow us on Instagram and Twitter @Cen10News

Cen10 News

Cen10 News

A Peek Behind the Curtain: The Work That Goes Into Preparing For Band Competitions

Darren Hu
Band members practicing their marching routine for the “To The Clouds, We Fly” show

FRISCO, Texas- With the Marching band season in full swing, the Centennial High School Band is working steadfastly to prepare for competitions and improve upon their musicality. 

From preparations for UIL (University Interscholastic League) competitions, to ensuring marching season goes smoothly, here’s what Junior Ranjana Ram, an oboe player and Junior Drum Major, has to say about the hard work that goes into preparations.

“Every day we have been learning and practicing our competition show “To the Clouds We Fly” either before school or after school,” further adding “We have had morning practices all days of the week from 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. and recently have started to shift over to afternoon practice from 4:45 p.m. to 7:15 p.m.”

The practice has been brutal, with practice even during the summer as Junior Eshaan Shah, a bassoon player for Concert Band, and trombone player for Marching Band, can attest to.

“We do camps on Mondays all throughout the summer to get people adjusted first and focus on the music. Two weeks before school starts, we start band camp, which is seven hours a day and focused on marching fundamentals and more musical practice.”

Aside from practicing for marching in football games, competing in UIL is another core part of being in the band program. 

This year, the Centennial High School Band is participating in a UIL competition show entitled “To The Clouds, We Fly.” It’s a show that involves many moving parts, including the Color Guard, Drum Majors, Woodwinds, Brass, and Percussion.

“On the week leading up to school, only the people who were chosen for the UIL Showcase meet for the same amount of time and practice getting the first part of the show learned,” further adding, “When school starts, we move to two-and-a-half-hour evening practices or one-and-a-half-hour morning practices. In late September into October, we start going to actual competitions.”

Along with a strict practice regimen, the assigned music has also been a struggle for many.

“I’ve been trying really hard to memorize all of my UIL show music.”

Ram elaborated further on the details of our band’s involvement in UIL competitions.

“Every year we have 4 total marching events, usually it is 2 competitions, UIL Region, and UIL Area. At competitions, we compete in order to prepare the show for the upcoming UIL contest in late October as well as the UIL Area competition afterward.”

Only after bands have made it through these competitions and placed 4th or higher in UIL Area, will they advance to UIL State, where the best bands in Texas compete against each other.

If you want to support our Centennial High School Band, then be sure to visit their next football game! The Color Guard team will also be performing in the “To the Clouds, We Fly” competition show, and you can find updates on the UIL competition dates here! If you’re interested in joining the Centennial Band, you can talk to the Head Band Director, Mr. Rein, in the band hall for more information.