Three Years Later

Sandy Hook Elementary School and the Shooting That Took Place.

Emma Bittner, Co Editor-in-Chief

sandy
Students being evacuated from Sandy Hook Elementary Photo by: SHANNON HICKS / Newtown Bee via EPA file.

On December 14, 2012 open fire was released on Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut. It’s been three years since Adam Lanza ripped into the school with multiple rounds of ammunition and shot 20 children and six staff members, killing them, along with his mother and himself. Hundreds of students were ushered out of the school in horror, parents and staff members tried to comfort students from shrieks and the horrid memory of a cluster of gun shots.

Three years later, school shootings are still occurring across the country. As of October 9, 2015, according to ABC, there had been 47 school shootings so far in 2015. At the same time the previous year there had been 50 school shootings. Each year the numbers rise to astounding amounts for the number of shootings and people killed in shootings. School shootings have become more popular in the recent years and have taken more lives as it comes closer to the current day.

Students live the horrors of school shootings everyday. Constantly, kids go to school afraid of what will happen to them, scared that they won’t make it through the day. As a community, its our job to reinstall this hope in kids and make them feel safe at school.

With each school shooting the question arises of why our kids are put at danger everyday. Open carry is one of the components to these problems, but also the safety precautions taken at each individual school. Lowering the number of shootings in the future, as well as protecting the lives of students at schools across the nation is one of the top priorities of our community today.

Facebookredditpinterestlinkedinmail