Rising to the Challenges of Varsity Softball

Freshman on Varsity Softball

Robbie Alexander, Cen10 News Reporter

They’re young and super talented. They can do amazing things and they’re a great asset to the team. Not all coaches believe in adding a talented freshman to a Varsity team. Being a freshman in High School is a big challenge…and being in a varsity sport makes it even greater.

If you’re a freshman, you know that you will have to adapt to the surroundings and a full load of classes. From taking Algebra to a Foreign Language class learning to juggle school and sports while adapting to the high school environment can be rough.

Some freshmen manage to adjust to the high school atmosphere and also be successful in their sport

Three freshmen are on the varsity softball team this season and they’re very excited.

Centennial’s Softball Head Coach, Stephanie Pels said she selected the freshman because of their talent.

“They’re a huge asset because with Frisco opening up so many schools…the number of athletes we have are limited,” Pels said.

Pels emphasize that the freshman earned their spots on the varsity team.

“Sometimes their youth shows…but if their techniques are where they should be then they’ll start,” Pels said. “They happened to be the best 13 that tried out.”

The freshman really enjoy being on the varsity team.

“I like it a lot,” freshman Lexi Pope said. “You get the experience and you get to associate yourself with upperclassmen and it makes you a better person on and off the field.”

“You get the experience and you get to associate yourself with upperclassmen and it makes you a better person on and off the field.”

— Lexi Pope

Another freshman, Katie Walsh agreed.

“I like it a lot,”  Walsh said. “It’s definitely fun and stressful at times.”

Today’s top athletes often play club sports which provides opportunities for travel. Some players also play up a level so they have experience playing with older teammates. This makes the transition to varsity ball as a freshman easier.

“It’s an exciting time,” freshman Emilee Mayer said. “I spent the years playing travel softball with an ultimate goals of playing in high school. I love being challenged by the older players we face and the overall experience of playing all the different high schools in our district.”