The State Fair of Texas

A staple of the fair- Big Tex- is always greeting you “Howdy.”(Photo by: Laura Nicolescu)

Laura Nicolescu, Co-Editor-In-Chief

The State Fair of Texas is a tradition like no other, and has been a staple of fall in Texas since 1886. This year, this celebration of all things Texan will be held until Oct. 23, meaning there’s still time to come on out and enjoy (two more Sundays, for those of us who jump at the opportunity to get into something for free).

While agriculture is the go-to to whenever people think of the State Fair, with more than 5,200 students participating in the youth events and leadership contests each year, showing livestock and earning money for college, it is much more than that.

Food –the deeper fried the better– is a definite staple of the State Fair. This year’s title of best taste went to fried Jell-O®, and the title of most creative went to State Fair Cookie Fries. And, as always, the classics such as corny dogs and turkey legs can be found throughout Fair Park during the fair.

The State Fair also includes live music, featuring 75 different headliners and regional musicians playing from country to Tejano and rock to hip-hop. The fair is also a place to find great deals, with 18 dedicated shopping locations around the park with retailers and exhibitors offering everything from mattresses and hot tubs to tools and farm equipment.

And of course, like any good fair or festival, the midway games and rides are a favorite. The State Fair Midway features more than 70 rides including the Thrillway, the Kidway, the iconic 212-ft. Texas Star® Ferris wheel, the 500 feet Top o’ Texas Tower and the 1914 Dentzel Carousel.

A few things to know before you head to the State Fair of Texas Midway:

• State Fair food/ride coupons are used to pay for Midway rides. Coupons are $.50 each and may be purchased at coupons booths located throughout the fairgrounds.
  • In order to play games at the State Fair of Texas, you must purchase a Big Tex Game Card. These cards can be purchased at booths and kiosks adjacent to the gaming areas.

While visiting the Midway, don’t forgot to stop by the Errol McKoy Greenhouse on the Midway and enjoy music, family-friendly activities and the scenic Texas Garden Railway.

Come on out to the State Fair, Titans and celebrate the wonderful state we live in.