The Dress Code Debate

Alterio Felines

Women Looking Through Shirts

FRISCO, TEXAS- Dress code. Perhaps the most controversial topic for school districts across the nation. Should districts have at least some regulation over the clothes within their school, or should students be able to have complete control over their own self expression through clothing?
Therésa Winge, associate professor of apparel and textile at Michigan State University has few thoughts on the matter, specifically about gender-specific aspects of the codes.
“It really is problematic how these dress codes seem to be focusing on women and making them responsible for other people’s actions or reactions,” Winge articulates.
Not only this, several opponents of dress code also believe that these dress codes hold an inherent gender target.
“Even in policies without gendered language, there are still rules on women’s dress,” Winge elaborates.
However, for as many opponents of dress code there are, there are an equal number of advocates, who believe dress codes are extremely beneficial, as well.
A study by Fresno Pacific University in fact found that “68 percent of the parents believed the uniform policy improved overall academic performance,” and that “80 percent of the girls and 62 percent of the boys reported liking to wear uniforms.”
Many also believe that dress codes can have several qualitative benefits as well.
“Dress codes can limit acts of violence, allow students to concentrate on school activities, make it easier for students to get ready for school every day,” “as well as “limit the distractions that may arise in the classroom, help school administrators easily spot trespassers,” the Educators For Social group claims.
Overall, it is up to each person to decide their standing on this controversial topic. While it is important to be reasonable in deciding clothing for schools, at the end of the day, clothing is not a distraction, and schools need to evaluate whether or not their dress code is truly fair to every student in the student body.