Cen10 News

• Happy Holidays, Titans!!!

• Follow us on twitter @cen10news

The Pay Gap

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Pay Gap

Jessica Mata, Cen10 News Reporter

The wage gap between genders is disturbingly real. In 2016, women were paid only 80 percent of what men were paid. Although the wage gap isn’t steady across all states, it still makes an impact, just in different percentages.

The pay gap is smallest in New York- with 89 percent earnings- and highest in Louisiana- with 70 percent earnings. Currently, Texas is state 26 out of 50 in wage difference. With this being said, it’s not as bad being a working woman in Texas as it is in smaller states, like Utah.

“In corporate America I still believe there are plenty of places where women unfortunately are getting better less than their male counterparts,” said Mr. Singler, history teacher. “If pay is based on performance, which I think it should be, then the women should be getting paid more.”

Unfortunately, the wage gap differs even more depending on race. In 2016, white women earned 79 percent of what white men made. In the same year, hispanic women made only 54 percent of that of a white man’s paycheck.

Another factor that widens the pay gap is being a mother. Women that do not have children are more likely to get hired and paid more than women with children. Mothers earn an average of seven percent less per child compared to those women without children.

Although education does help with the pay gap, it doesn’t solve the problem. In some instances, the pay gap is larger at higher education levels. Studies show that white women are paid more than black and hispanic women at any education level.

The wage gap isn’t prominent in lower jobs. Usually, both genders will get paid the same in jobs like retail or fast food. The gap increasingly shows in careers with higher pay, not minimum wage. A major news story that broke out recently involved BBC New’s reporter, Carrie Gracie. The BBC’s China editor recently resigned from her position after finding out a man doing the exact same job as a her got paid tens of thousands of dollars more.

“I work in a profession where I don’t think gender plays into what I get paid. However, football coaches tend to make a lot more and that tends to be a male-dominated field…” Ms. Ham, art teacher said. “…I feel that as an intelligent, strong, and creative woman, I should get paid the same as any intelligent, strong, creative male.”

Multiple sources give different estimates as to when it will close, with the estimates varying on the types of jobs and locations. The Institute for Women’s Policy Research suggests that the overall pay gap will close indefinitely 144 years from now. It is a shame that even in 2018, women are being discriminated against. The world has to continue to work towards closing this gender wage gap- and fast.

Facebookgoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail