The student news site of Centennial High School - Frisco, Texas

Cen10 News

• Welcome To The Titan Times!
  • Welcome to The Titan Times!
  • Follow us on Instagram and Twitter @Cen10News

Cen10 News

Cen10 News

Passing the Torch: A New Era for the Bollywood Club

Aaheil Patel
    Rajagopal performing at her dance recital!

FRISCO, TEXAS – Dance has been used worldwide for thousands of years to express religion, history, and the communication of emotions. From the Cumbia from Colombia to the Chinese Ribbon Dance in China, dance is a form of art that spreads to every part of the world. Frisco is no different. 

In Centennial High School, clubs like the Spanish Honor Society explore the heritage of many students. A new club that appeared just last year is the Bollywood Dance Club, diving into classical dances over India’s long history.

Bollywood consists of many forms of dance, including Odissi, Kathak, and Mohiniyattum, just to name a few. In fact, the new president, sophomore Isha Rajagopal, practices Bharatanatyam. 

Bharatanatyam is a classical dance originating from Tamil Nadu, a state in India. Originally called Sadiraattam, this form of dance has existed since 300 BCE, expanding across the world for 2322 years. This dance tells the history, acting out myths of the Hindu Gods and the history of ancient India. 

“I’ve been dancing Bharatanatyam since I was four, so around 11 years around now. But actually, I’ve been watching and going to my sister’s classes since the age of two.” 

Inspired by her sister and teacher, Rajagopal soon created the Bollywood Club, where she wished to share her culture and give others the opportunity to let go and have fun dancing. 

“Dance has always been a way for me to express any emotion I’ve been feeling. Whether it be happiness or sadness or anger, I can always turn back to dance to get my emotions out of me. I want it to be like that for others as well, so they can also have something when they can’t express their emotions ”

Due to the graduation of the previous president, the spot to guide the club was open for the taking. Rajagopal knew what she had to do.

“I really enjoyed what the past president brought. She brought her own way of dancing with her to the club and I appreciate it. I want to continue that however that may be.”

This year, some new things have been added to the club.

“Right now? Well, I want to bring more group, solo, and small group performances to the club. It’s a way for all of us to see how we’ve grown over the years to see and just enjoy ourselves. I’m still trying to figure it out, but I for sure want that in the club!”

If you have more questions, comments, or concerns about the Bollywood Dance Club, contact Rajagopal at [email protected]