The student news site of Centennial High School - Frisco, Texas

Cen10 News

• Welcome To The Titan Times!
  • Welcome to The Titan Times!
  • Follow us on Instagram and Twitter @Cen10News

Cen10 News

Cen10 News

HOCO: A Dream or Cliché? My Thoughts on the Starry Sky

Medha Shah
Stars light up the night at this year’s homecoming!

CENTENNIAL HIGH SCHOOL- Homecoming for every school is traditionally planned differently based on the student body and the student council. Centennial’s homecoming this year was inspired by ideas of Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” from the art students. Student council worked hard to decorate and plan out the dance for Centennial students to enjoy. This event wouldn’t have been possible without their hard work and dedication to our school and students. Regardless, people may have their perspectives on such a popular tradition. Which is why I thought I’d share my opinion on this year’s homecoming theme.

This year, Centennial’s Student Council went all out with the starry decorations- especially the lighting. The hall leading to the cafeteria set the mood with dim lighting and balloon arches in the colors of black, silver, and gold.  The only sources of light on the dance floor were the galaxy disco light projection on the ceiling and a few spotlights on the sides of the dance floor. 

The theme allowed room for a greater atmospheric mood. This year’s homecoming had a more laid-back vibe as everyone had their groove. Most people stayed with their friend groups and drifted off and on the dance floor. There weren’t any conga dance lines or huge crowds of people. The people who wanted to dance ended up closer to the DJ booth naturally. The corner with the high tables next to the doors leading to the shaved ice food trucks was popular. The art club students’ paintings depicting Van Gogh’s “Starry Night” surrounded the corner and were hung up on the dividers. 

A trademark of any dance is the fashion that it inspires. About half of the attendees stuck to the theme, while others decided to wear what they preferred. Makeup and accessories shined as there were a variety of different types of looks you could accessorize.

While I may have thought it would be pretty much the same thing as last year- especially with the price tag of the tickets- I was pleasantly surprised by other aspects of the dance. Only the food and music were around the same as last year. I mainly focused on getting to hang out with my sophomore friends and social networking, so it wasn’t that big of a problem though. It would have felt a bit fresher if this had been my first dance definitely. I only stayed at the dance from 8 to 9 p.m. though as I had dinner with my friends, but I would give the dance a pretty decent rating (7/10). Centennial’s Student Council did a great job and it was a worthwhile experience. I look forward to seeing what they plan next year and I’m sure it will be as great of an experience to match up my senior year!