Dr. Jeremy Lyon to Retire as Superintendent

Laura Nicolescu, Co-Editor-In-Chief

After four years as Superintendent of the Frisco Independent School District, Dr. Jeremy Lyon will retire after the 2016-17 school year. The school board is set to meet on Monday at 7:30 p.m. to discuss options for the new leader of the district.

Dr. Lyon began his 31-year career in education as a high school science teacher and coach in Gilmer, Texas, and rose through the ranks to lead one of the fastest growing school districts in America.

Under Lyon’s leadership, FISD incurred the highest student enrollment percentage jump in the state, student academic performance increased each year. FISD’s academic performance ranks first among large school districts in Texas. School board president Anne McCausland says Monday’s board workshop will prepare the board for the search process of finding a superintendent.

“At the workshop we will determine what qualities we want to look for in a search firm, and eventually the qualities we would look for in a superintendent,” McCausland said.

She says no options have been narrowed down yet.

“We are soliciting information from search firms, so we’re basically doing this in steps,” McCausland said.

Although retiring from public education, Dr. Lyon is planning to remain in Frisco as he moves on to lead a national effort to advance preventive health practices for children. He has been named the first president of Cooper Youth, a division of The Cooper Institute, to build a healthier, stronger generation.