The student news site of Centennial High School - Frisco, Texas

Cen10 News

• Welcome To The Titan Times!
  • Welcome to The Titan Times!
  • Follow us on Instagram and Twitter @Cen10News

Cen10 News

Cen10 News

Centennial FCCLA Students Take the Podium at State Conference

Aaliyah Lolwana
Aaliyah Lolwana poses with her teammates after placing 3rd in the Professional Presentation Level 3 event hosted at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas, Texas.

CENTENNIAL-  Sounds of joy rang out when some Centennial students found out they would be advancing to the FCCLA Nationals Conference.

On April 12 – 14, Centennial FCCLA members participated in the FCCLA State Conference, securing top five positions in Interpersonal Communications Level Two, Interpersonal Communications Level Three, Professional Presentation Level Three, and Sports Nutrition Level Three.

FCCLA officer and senior, Aaliyah Lolwana participated in the Professional Presentation Level Three event and shared about the experience of participating in the State Conference. 

“We mainly took our feedback back from the Region Conference. Our feedback was to add a more personal experience. We basically tied our project back to us.”

Lolwana also shared more about the competition structure of the State Conference.

“There are multiple different categories. You pick a topic and present the issue to a panel of judges.”

Each Family and Consumer Sciences Category is divided into levels based on grade levels. Level Two is for freshmen and sophomores and Level Three is for juniors and seniors. 

Those who placed in the top five of competitors for their category have the opportunity to advance to nationals if they place in 1st or 2nd place. All categories, with the exception of the online challenge tests, have the opportunity to advance to nationals if they place high enough on the charts.

Junior FCCLA member and junior, Akshaya Pradeepkumar participated in the Family and Consumer Sciences Assessments (FCSA) cluster, placing gold on the Culinary Arts Assessments. Pradeekumar shared her thoughts about the most fun part of participating in the State Conference.

“[For me,] it was probably the whole hotel experience. We got really good hotels for our conference area and the place we were staying at. There were also lots of activities.”

Lolwana had thoughts about the State Conference experience as well.

“For me this year it was meeting new people, especially since State is everyone in Texas. I got to meet some people living near the border of Mexico, so that was cool.”

Three groups of students are advancing to nationals in Seattle later this year. These students are Aarya Namburi, Rohan Aluru, Rayaan Altaf, Rewa Bandaru, Dhanista Annem, Chaitrika Voruganti, Ishanvi Yadagiri, and Heera Venkatesh

FCCLA members Aarya Namburi, Rohan Aluru, and Rayaan Altaf placed 2nd in the Sports Nutrition Level Three Category.

Rewa Bandaru, Dhanista Annem, and Chaitrika Voruganti placed 1st in the Interpersonal Communications Level Three Category.

Ishanvi Yadagiri and Heera Venkatesh placed 2nd in Interpersonal Communications Level Two. These students are set to advance to the 2024 National Leadership Conference in Seattle, Washington, set to start on June 29 and end on July 3.

If you’d like to join FCCLA, look for their bulletin board located downstairs in A-hall, for more information.