The Community College Stigma

The Community College Stigma

CENTENNIAL HIGH SCHOOL- As the college application season comes to an end and seniors are busy making their decisions for after high school, it becomes increasingly obvious that the community college stigma is still ever present.
Although it may not be purposeful, the stigma surrounding community college and other non traditional post graduation paths is often deep rooted in students minds.
“I feel like I always knew I wanted to go to college, I didn’t really consider anything else really seriously,” Centennial senior Prisha Srivastava reveals.
These opinions in fact stem from way back, all the way to childhood.
“I never really knew anyone when I was little that went down a different path,” Srivastava adds.
However, the majority of students have been able to look past this stigma and realize that there are many paths after graduation, and that a traditional four year university is not the only option.
“I think that every student has a different “right” way to go,” Centennial senior Gauri Agrawal comments. “It really just depends on the student.”
Community college is in fact a great option for students looking to save money or cut down schooling time. Because of this, there has been a substantial increase in the past few years of students who choose to attend a community college for a couple of years after highschool graduation, before transferring to a four year university.
“I think community college is a really good option for a lot of people and I think more people should take advantage of it or at least consider it,” Agrawal adds.
So, no matter how confusing it may feel to make decisions about life after high school, it is so important to realize that there is no “right” option. Every student has different circumstances and goals for their life, so it is important to not just go down the traditional path, but make the choice that is the best suited for you.