The student news site of Centennial High School - Frisco, Texas

Cen10 News

• Welcome To The Titan Times!
  • Welcome to The Titan Times!
  • Follow us on Instagram and Twitter @Cen10News

Cen10 News

Cen10 News

Frisco ISD Approves Fall Break and Other Calendar Changes at District Meeting

2024-2025 FISD School Calendar

Frisco, Texas — During the highly anticipated Frisco ISD December board meeting, the brand new 2024-2025 school year calendar was approved, now better aligned with surrounding districts’ breaks, a student holiday on election day, and more!

When crafting next year’s calendar, FISD referenced surrounding districts like Plano ISD and Mckinney ISD and even Collin College and the University of North Texas (UNT). Winter break, spring break, and a student holiday on election day are all the same across the districts.

Centennial High School teacher, Mr. Chamberlain, expresses his gratitude “I appreciate the consideration for teachers with kids in other districts, sometimes teacher have to take days off leading up to breaks and this makes that time a lot easier.”

Students involved in dual-enrollment courses at Collin College or UNT will also reap the benefits of this schedule, making holiday travels for students and their families much more convenient. 

Taking inspiration from neighboring districts, Frisco ISD adopted the concept of a fall break. Frisco has opted to give students days off of school on November 1st, 4th, and 5th which has been very well received by students and parents alike. In fact, according to Frisco ISD, 85% of the District Advisory Council favored the adoption of a  fall break.

Junior Adya Das shares “I’m shocked! My friends from other districts have always had a fall break and I’ve been so jealous, I never thought we would get one.” 

Beyond enhancing the student experience, the break serves a practical purpose. The fall break will give students the day off of school on election day which not only allows eligible students to vote but also opens up the schools to serve as polling locations.

In response to community feedback, the first day of school has been pushed to August 12th, a later date than previous years. This change still allows school to end before Memorial Day, another key concern when discussing the calendar. 

Frisco ISD’s continued dedication to foster an ideal learning environment is evident in the decisions made regarding the 2024-2025 school year. By taking the opinions of students, faculty, and parents alike into consideration, Frisco ISD has crafted a calendar that is truly for the people.