The student news site of Centennial High School - Frisco, Texas

Cen10 News

• Summer Website Remodeling Until The First Day of School!
  • Welcome To The Titan Times!
  • Welcome to The Titan Times!

Cen10 News

Cen10 News

Centennial’s newest club, The Film Club, opens its doors to membership

Darren Hu
Poster in B hall with information about how Film Club meeting locations and Remind code.

FRISCO, TEXAS – Love watching the credits roll on the new Christopher Nolan movie? Then Centennial’s Film Club is your place to go.

Founded by senior Shishir Gomatham, the Film Club was created as a place for people who are interested in filmmaking to meet up and talk about movies that interest them.

Gomatham shared more about what inspired him to create the Film Club.

“At Centennial, I know a lot of people who are interested in film. We don’t have a place for people who are interested in filmmaking to meet. I know lots of people who are interested in filmmaking, and I wanted to create a place for people to network.”

The Film Club’s goal is to create a space where people can make connections if they are interested in filmmaking, as well as talk about movies.

“The film club is designed so that students can have a place to talk about movies and make connections if they want to make movies. The club will support both of those endeavors. This is also a pathway into the Frisco Filmmakers Society.”

Frisco Filmmakers Society is another organization for people who are interested in Centennial’s Film Club to take a larger step into exploring the world of filmmaking. They focus on creating a place for students to network and connect with other aspiring filmmakers to create student-produced short films and projects.

Gomatham also shared a bit about how students interested in the Frisco Filmmakers Society, hosted by him and others in collaboration with the Frisco Public Library, can join. 

“If people want information about getting involved in the Frisco Filmmaker Society this [the Film Club] is a great place to get information about that.”

Students interested in the Film Club can expect to find a fun and inclusive environment filled with popcorn, fun, and movies like Shawshank Redemption, Cars 2, or other movies.

Drifting away from car races and the like, being part of the Film Club comes with many benefits as Gomatham says.

“The best part is having a really fun inclusive community to be a part of. Everyone’s nice to each other and we have a lot of fun,” adding “The film club is a fun experience for everyone. You should bring friends, you’ll make new connections, and there will also be popcorn.”

Gomatham also gave his two cents about the importance of analyzing films.

“I feel like more than anything, films are both a great way to escape from temporary problems and troubles and go to a place where we are focused on characters and settings. Films give people hope and are really memorable. They are personal, different to everyone, and equally special. People have films that they really resonate with. We connect with others on a new wavelength, really going into the aspects of these movies that we know and love.”

The Film Club hosts monthly meetings usually on Wednesdays or Thursdays. They just had their first meeting on February 15. 

If you’re interested in joining, grab some popcorn, and join the club’s Remind, @friscof1lm, to stay updated. If you have any questions you can reach out to the President, Shishir Gomatham at [email protected].