The student news site of Centennial High School - Frisco, Texas

Cen10 News

• Welcome To The Titan Times!
  • Welcome to The Titan Times!
  • Follow us on Instagram and Twitter @Cen10News

Cen10 News

Cen10 News

Classics to Contemporary; Parental Influences on Teen’s Choices

The+Centennial+library.+
Archana Ravindran
The Centennial library.

FRISCO, TEXAS – In the saga of parenting, amidst debates over screen time, homework, and bedtime routines, there exists a quiet battlefield; teen literature. At libraries, they offer a large selection of books that teens can choose from to learn different topics or read a relaxing book. But what happens when parents can decide what and what not their children can read? 

On October 5th, 2023, the Frisco ISD website posted an article about parents being able to create a list of books their children are not allowed to read. They can do this by going into their teen’s school library catalog and selecting books they don’t want their children to read. 

When asked about the new changes, Junior Veronica Cruz had a neutral view on the subject. 

“I think we should be able to read what we want,” Cruz states 

“But at the end of the day, our parents just want what’s best for us, and if they decide that certain content shouldn’t be viewed, that’s their choice.” 

For a while now, the discussion of controlling what children read has been a big topic in the media, as well as banning books. Many people have mixed opinions about whether or not students should be able to read any books they want. 

Another Junior, Helen Belagorod, has similar opinions to Cruz. 

“As long as it is just the parents, then it should be fine. They have our best interest at heart and just want to make sure we’re safe. But I also think overly banning books is harmful, because then you’re not letting your kids grow in any way.”

Others, though, see this new parental control in a much more negative light. Menna Al Rihily, a Junior, speaks about her opinions.

“We’re at the age where we have to learn about the things around us. The world is not full of censorship and you have to understand that you’ll have to play catch up with everything that is going on. And also, you could just go to the public library and learn everything on your own.” 

Even though the topic has been around for a while, parental control has just been implemented in Frisco ISD for the 23 to 24 school year. There is no news that this system will be continued next year.