Does Class Size Matter?

Jessica Mata, Cen10 News Reporter

Class size has been shrinking over the years. The debate of whether it helps or not has been around for a while.

Texas has more kids enrolled in public school than 28 states have residents. With the student population at 5.1 million, it seems hard to keep class size reduced.

Frisco ISD has an average of 22 students to one teacher in grades K-4 and an average of 25-28 students to one teacher in grades 5-12.

With more and more schools being built in our school district, class sizes will likely shrink. But does it really help?

Some argue that the quality of the teacher drives student achievement. Some say that it’s all about your peers. I believe it’s both.

Various studies have been taken on the matter and they usually exhibited the same results. It presented better grades and better concentration. Being in a class with 18 students, rather than 30, would likely boost grades and overall learning.

One particular study showed that math scores went up 14 percent and reading scores went up nine percent when the class size was reduced.

As a high school student that transferred from a highly disruptive school, I can say success at school comes from several factors presented in a classroom. The students, teacher, and atmosphere contribute to student achievement.

With this being said, I believe that reducing class size can help. If all the conditions in the classroom are right, students will definitely flourish from reduced class sizes.