You Can Hear the Heart

You Can Hear the Heart

Mireya Saldana, Reporter

What happens when you are hearing impaired but you are in love with a sport that requires a lot of focus, listening and trust? Lily Crane might just be able to answer the question.

Crane is a freshman from Clark Middle School and is on the Titan Junior Varsity basketball team this season. Crane lost her hearing when she was one year old, due to fluid in her ears. Although she may not be able to hear, Crane does not let that get in the way of her playing the game she loves. She has been playing basketball for about 8 years now and she still practices hard and works hard to help her teammates get the win.

She does not consider herself different than any other player on the floor and that is one of the many things that makes her a special player.

“I just tell myself that I can and I will do anything I want to.” Crane said.

With not being able to hear her coach call out plays or give her pointers from the sidelines, Crane must look up to her teammates and trust them to let her know what the coach is saying. Cassidy Melton and Cali Fletcher, also on the JV team, played with Lily in middle school and understand the importance of getting Crane’s attention in order to let her know what is going on.

“[My teammates] tap my shoulder and point and use like head nods and eye contact,” Crane said.

For being a ‘disabled’ player on the floor, Crane puts her heart into the game of basketball and works her hardest to be the best she can be. She is a great example to be looked up to from other Centennial athletes and programs, that if you just put your heart into it and believe you can, you can achieve great things and accomplish so much.