Sports-Related Concussions

Zach Jarrett, Cen10 News Reporter

Football players take many blows during football games.

Some of you who play sports, may have experienced one, or maybe even a couple concussions. In high school alone there are about 300,000 concussions annually, and 47% of all concussions are from football. This affects many student athletes, with symptoms of memory loss, or in some cases, require them to stop playing the sport. But if you take the right precautions, you can have a  recover from a concussion.

Football players aren’t the only ones that can get concussions. Many other sports like, hockey, soccer, volleyball, baseball, etc. have many reports of concussions. There have even been reports of concussions from gymnastics.

Christian Croteau, an athletic trainer for Centennial High School, works with athletes to help them recover from injuries, including concussions.

“Some of the accommodations our athletes may need are extra time for test taking … or not sit in front of the computer because it can delay healing of the brain,” Croteau said. “Also ( it can) cause the athlete to have a more severe headache and feel nauseous… So it’s really case by case.”

Though concussions vary from student to student, the procedure remains the same.

“We immediately call mom and dad and let them know what we are dealing with,” Croteau said. “We then set up an appointment with a medical doctor.”

Facebookredditpinterestlinkedinmail